Monday 21 April 2014

Seamstresses' Project Complete


Ock Pop Tok Training 

Hua and DerYang are back from their 2 week training at Ock Pop Tok (OPT) which is a craft centre in Luang Prabang. I had rung OPT 3 times during that time to check on progress and that they were OK. I got good reports – keen, interested and eager.

I went out to Ban Xai to talk to them about their experiences - they had a good time and it seems as though it was very valuable. They came back with material to make 180 cloth handbags – there is substantial hand embroidery required on each bag. Through Yang, my Hmong/Lao manager, I asked questions about how the training went, what the people were like, how the guest house was, the travel to work on bicycles (they had never ridden bikes before), the lunches, evening meals etc. It was all fine - they liked the OPT people and had a good time. I asked each question and watched Hua and DerYang as they answered. Hua is the natural leader - a confident, bright, pleasant young lady and took the lead in answering. In the end I leaned forward and, as I looked Hua steadily in the eye, I said, “How were the boys?” Yang translated. She didn’t hesitate or falter - she looked me in the eye and said in Hmong, “No boys”. DerYang had said nothing, deferring to Hua to answer the questions. I didn't want her left out so, in the end, I asked Yang to ask DerYang if she enjoyed herself and she blushed demurely and said yes. Then I asked her if the journeys had been OK (she was travel sick when we went the first time - 7 hours of very winding mountain roads) and she blushed, “Yes”. And did she miss her family and she blushed, “Yes.”     I gave them a deep cop and we departed.

The Tools

I put forward a case to MiVAC that, if we are serious about poverty reduction, here is a perfect case which, with a little extra capital, will make a difference to these 5 ladies. I asked for enough to pay for the training, an industrial sewing machine and an industrial overlocker. (I don't know - it does edges or something) and was given AUD1,000. If I go over the top, I pay. OK.

A week ago we went to the sewing machine lady in the "dry market" and collected the 2 new machines – overlocker (2.5m kip) and sewing machine (3.5m) - we needed both the old and new Pajeros as the machines are mounted in large metal work tables. Then we went Ban Xai and moved the machines into the sewing room.

We loaded the 2 old, unserviceable Chinese machines that I was going to part-exchange for the new ones into the old Pajero and returned to Phonsavan. Took them into the sewing machine lady and got 1m kip for them. I bought some extra lubricating oil for the machines and, having paid for the training trip to Ock Pop Tok in Luang Prabang, had $25 remaining out of my $1,000 budget! See Vicki? I can do it on my own! OK, it wasn't 0.01% but any saving is good around here.

The ladies have been given the material by OPT for an order for 180 bags of 2 designs. They also have to make single examples of 4 other items (don’t know what) for assessment by OPT. 

Poverty Reduction

So I believe I have completed what I can. The ladies are in direct contact with OPT, they know how to get the products transported to Luang Prabang and raw material back, they have an order and promise of more. They are now well set up with professional, industrial machines, a work location, appropriate training and an outlet for their work.

One of MiVAC's main goals is the reduction of poverty in the Phoukood District of the Xieng Kouang Province of the Lao PDR. In an endeavour to reduce poverty I am very happy that we have been able to help these young ladies as much as we reasonably can - the rest is up to them to make a go of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment